John R. Sloan
Video: Client, Frank Rees, CEO of Rees Associates
For more than 25 years, John Sloan has served as chief executive officer for a number of private equity and venture capital organizations. To date, he has participated in financial transactions that have exceeded $6 billion in aggregate value for both public and private companies in a wide range of industries.
- Raising more than $1 billion in debt and equity through an extensive private finance contact network
- Advising investors in a $5.1 billion leveraged buyout of The Southland Corporation, NYSE
- Evaluating, negotiating and financing the acquisition of more than 20 companies
- Specializing in the successful execution of investment realization strategies for public and private middle market companies
- Managing all phases of private equity transactions
- Building and overseeing operating management teams
Highlights of Mr. Sloan’s career include serving as president and chief executive officer of The Thompson Company, a private investment company, owned by the founders of the 7-Eleven convenience stores. His long-term relationship with the Thompson family resulted when he successfully served as senior advisor to the founders during The Southland Corporation leveraged buyout.
Through the private investment and venture capital firm he founded in 1993, J. Sloan & Co., d/b/a VentureLink, Mr. Sloan pursues a strategy of acquiring companies within a consolidating industry. He continues to serve as president and chief executive officer of the firm. The following is a sample of the successful transactions Mr. Sloan engineered:
- Providing venture seed capital and raised more than $100 million in expansion capital for an early stage specialty finance company.
- Raising $33 million with HO2 Partners to create the largest first time venture capital fund in Texas during the late 1990s.
- Leading an investor group in acquiring East Teak Fine Hardwoods, Inc., an importer of exotic hardwood lumber from around the world and the largest importer of high-grade teak in the United States.
In addition, to his private equity and venture capital work, Mr. Sloan has served on the board of directors for numerous public and privately held corporations. A graduate of The University of Texas at Austin, Mr. Sloan is a licensed CPA.